Thursday, May 21, 2009

TokyoMilk - Honey and the Moon




 Every now and then , I find a  fragrance that delights me and makes me feel so chic and trendy that I can't possibly resist it. TokyoMilk Parfumerie's "Honey and the Moon  is such a scent!  I had never heard of TokyoMilk, but when I walked into Anthropologie yesterday I was greeted by a beautiful display of their products, lovely fragrances, pretty soaps and lip balms that are sweet  and yummy enough to make you want to turn and kiss the nearest adorable man!  TokyoMilk perfumes make me want to grab my passport and  the next flight to Paris, with nothing but my wonderful husband, a DVF wrap dress  and some La Perla lingerie!

The bottles for the  TokyoMilk perfumes are wonderful, simple glass with vintage pictures on one side and a sleek brown label on the other. The names of their perfumes are   enchanting and take you swiftly into what we marketing types call  "absolute vulnerability!" ,  that land where your imagination is so instantly transported that one push in the right direction is more than enough to make you reach for your purse. What intellectual wouldn't fall for a fragrance called "Poe's Tobacco", which true Bohemian wouldn't dream of a fragrance called "Lapsang su Chong". Could anyone with a case of Paris lust as severe as mine possibly resist anything called, "Let them eat cake", whose notes are sugar cane, coconut milk,vanilla orchids and white musk? I think not.

This aspiring Shakespearean wouldn't dream of passing up a fragrance called "Honey and the Moon" !   "Honey and the Moon" is a lovely and very original confection, coated with notes of sweet Honey, sugared violet, jasmine and sandalwood and one spray took me instantly to High Tea at the Dorchester Hotel in London, probably because this was the first place ever that I experienced the sublime sexy joy that is a candied violet.

Oh, I'll never forget that first violet! My mother and I always made it a habit to have tea every afternoon wherever we traveled and that particular afternoon I was presented with a lovely little tart that had a pastry creme scented with orange flower water  and a crust lined with dark chocolate. Perched on top was a delectable little purple flower and I thought that it must be made of sugar. My mother laughed as I took my first bite and I was  delighted to discover that it was indeed a real violet! It was an amazing thought to wrap my very young mind around, that flowers could be candy and I've hunted for them ever since, even making my own on occasion although I must admit that the violets that my sister brings me back from Fauchon in Paris are my favorites, bested only by the fragrant Laduree macoron's that she lovingly carries  back by hand.  But that's another story!

At just 28.00 dollars for a one ounce bottle, Tokyo Milk fragrances are an affordable and flamboyant indulgence! And while I'm at it, here's my recipe for those candied violets. All of this talk of tea is making me ravenous.......

All you need are violets, beaten egg white thats not frothy, superfine sugar and a soft sable paint brush. This is the time of year to make them because you can find fresh violets everywhere you roam. Just make sure to harvest them from areas that you know haven't been touched with pesticides because you will not be rinsing them. Paths along the woods are usually the best!

Dip the brush into the egg and gently apply the egg white very lightly to the violet, covering the whole flower or petal. Don't use too much , only enough to allow the sugar to stick. Then turn the violet upside down and while holding it  over a plate , sprinkle with the superfine sugar to coat it evenly. Place them on a tray that you've line with parchment and allow them to completely dry. You can hasten the process a bit by putting the tray into a 150 degree oven with the door left ajar . They won't be around this long, but once they are completely dry you can store them for up to a year in an airtight jar. I've also done this with lavender buds and rose petals and this year I'm thinking about candying fresh nasturtium blossoms! Almost any small edible flower will  do. Whichever you choose, you'll find them to be addictive and delicious!

For more information about TokyoMilk Perfumes go to:       
http://www.beautyhabit.com/tokyomilk.html 

 

4 comments:

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Hi Beth...I am new here. But not new to your writings. I am sending you an email to introduce myself further. But I just wanted to say that I love reading your perfume reviews and I'm thrilled that you have this blog to follow. I was just at Anthropologie the other day, but I must have missed Honey and the Moon. Because if I had seen it, you're right...I would have bought it for the name alone...ha! I'm a sucker for anything with 'moon' or 'magic' in the name. Nice to meet you!

Flora said...

I really have to try this! I adore violets, candied or otherwise.

Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Hi Gypsy Moon......I love your name;)
Thank you so much for your really sweet words! I'm really so happy that you enjoy my reviews! I just started this blog and I'm really having fun with it! My other blog, at www.stirringthesenses.com is about food and entertaining and didn't really have a place for me to put this other sort of writing that I love,so I'm excited!Thank you so much for introducing yourself! Are you on Facebook?

Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Flora..
You would love this..Its incredibly simple and fun!!!!!!! Let me know what you think!!!!